Monday, April 25, 2011

Florida's Birds


I am so fortunate to live in a place with some of the most gorgeous and spectacular wading birds in the world.  Sarasota is home to a plethora of exotic shore birds and giant tree nesting birds.  From Brown pelicans to Great Blue Herons and Roseate Spoonbills we have them all.

Yesterday was Easter Sunday so I decided to make it a photography day.  I am still wanting and hoping to get a longer lens for shooting photos of birds, but for now, the one I have will have to suffice.  The amazing thing is, these birds let you get very close to them.  In fact, I had put my camera in the car and decided to go wet my feet in the warm Gulf water and as I walked into the water, birds flew in from all over and started to surround me as if I had provided a smorgasbord for them and they were all coming to the party.  When I saw this crazy conglomeration of birds coming at me from all sides, I had to walk back to my car and get my camera.  I really couldn't believe my eyes!

I went to a favorite spot where there is a rookery full of heron nests and pelican nests in the trees and I always find interesting birds here.  Then I took a run over to Sarasota Jungle Gardens to shoot some photos of one of my favorites, the American Flamingo, one of the most amazing birds to behold in person.  They of course have a huge selection of parrots and Cockatoos.  Here are some photos from the day.  I hope you enjoy them.

















2 comments:

drfugawe said...

Hey Mary,
How's your spring going? Hell, what am I talking about? May is mid-summer where you are. Sadly, our nasty weather grinds on - there is a slight suggestion in the air that we may be close to a break - but ... I'll just not hold my breath til.

Have you been to the 10,000 islands yet? It's the area south of Naples - actually the southern end of the Everglades. You need a boat, and a GPS, but it's about as raw as nature gets in Florida, and the fishing (snook) is superb - and tons of birds! We had a manatee surface right next to our boat one day - I came very close to going over the side! Only problem is that I've never seen more of those little black mosquitoes anywhere in my life - you need lots of deet.

ladyflyfsh said...

Hey doc, no I haven't been yet but it's on my to do list for sure. I'm in PA at the moment chasing morels. I hear they are coming strong in your area!