Wednesday, July 13, 2011

We Have Eggs!


I always thought my girls were precocious but even this was a surprise to me.  On June 27th, Inez and Betty both laid their first eggs.  They are the two Barred Rock hens I have and it was quite amazing to me they both laid their first egg on the same day.  These gals were only 4-1/2 months old which is a little young to start laying.  The minimum is usually around 20 weeks but I guess they were anxious to get the egg rolling.

I awoke that morning a little after 7am to the sound of a very excited and loud chicken making very loud noises to the point I was worried something may be trying to get into their coop.  I sprang out of bed and looked over to the chicken yard but all seemed to be in order and there were no unwanted guests trying to get in.  Then it hit me...I remembered this very frenzied, loud, raucous, clucking/screaming noise from when I had chooks in Montana.  It was the very sound of egg laying!  Yes, these girls can make quite a fuss when they lay an egg and I guess the first one must really be something else because it woke me out of a sound sleep!

Anyway, now a few of the other girls are in on the fun and I'm now getting three to four eggs a day.  Out of 6 hens I should be getting six a day pretty soon.  I'm very happy to be finally getting fresh eggs because there is just nothing like a farm fresh egg!

No comments: