Thursday, June 14, 2012

It's Copper River Sockeye Season! Woot!


Copper River salmon is the first salmon to be caught in Alaska each year with the opening usually the third week in May sometime.  This year, the opening day was May 17th and I was waiting with baited breath for the first Copper River sockeye salmon to show up in the markets.  It took a few days but as soon as I heard it was available, I knew I needed to make a trek to Tampa to the closest Costco store to get some.  It was so fresh and beautiful and it is my favorite salmon on earth.

I will buy a side or two and cut it into portions and then vacuum seal them and freeze it so I will have it to enjoy for a while.  The fresh pieces I put to good use immediately and since it is also mango season, I decided to make a fresh mango salsa to go with it.

The mango salsa is simple.  Cut up the mango into cubes, add red onion, lime juice and lime zest, serrano chile, a clove of garlic and some olive oil. Oh, don't forget the fresh cilantro!

I served it over saffron rice and voila, the perfect spring fish dish.  Bon Appetit!


No comments: