Wednesday, June 13, 2012

When Life Gives you Lychee's Make Lychee Martini's


It is lychee season in SW Florida and the lychee trees are loaded with crimson red fruit ready to be picked.  The lychee is a tropical and subtropical tree native to China, Taiwan and Southeast Asia.  It grows quite well in Sarasota, Florida so I am fortunate to have lots of lychee at my fingertips.  So, what do you do with tons of lychee?  I have just been enjoying peeling them and eating them fresh but I also have tried my hand at making lycheetini's, a lychee martini of sorts.  Here is how you do it:


Ingredients

  • Ice cubes
  • 6 ounces vodka
  • 4 ounces lychee juice
  • Splash vermouth
  • 2 lychees, for garnish

Directions

In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add vodka, lychee juice and vermouth. Shake until chilled. Pour into 2 martini glasses and garnish with lychees. (recipe courtesy of Danny Boome)
Since I'm using fresh lychees, there is lots of juice. The juice is not clear so it makes the drink look cloudy but the flavor is really intense so I don't mind they are cloudy...they make you feel like you're sitting on a cloud!
Cheers!


No comments: